Meet the Purrtectors of the Dragonhold
How many purrtectors of DragonHold are there?
There are presently 13 Purrtectors of DragonHold.
1. Bunny- A greybie who was born with a leg twisted backwards and an autoimmune disease. The leg was amputated and she has lost almost all her teeth from the disease.
2. Tiki- Was wild when found. I trapped and tamed her and she is a love. She is a bobtail.
3. Rowen- She was in a petting zoo at a Ren Fair on a really hot day. I begged the owner to give her to me cause she was dehydrated. I finally paid him $40.00 to get her, rushed her to the vet and they managed to save her. She is also a bobtail.
4. Moaning Myrtle- Myrt was about 2 weeks old when I got her as a foster. She was a bottle baby. My room mate fell in love with her so she became his Christmas present.
5. Gunnery Sgt. Pepper- Gunny was also wild. I trapped him and tamed him. We think he is related to Tiki but from a later litter.
6. Sassafras- Sassy was found under a cafe at about 6 weeks old. She was another foster that we couldn’t part with.
7. Bandit- She was found in the middle of the road covered in fleas and starving. The vet thinks she has some genetic issues. She is a year old now and the 5 month old kittens are bigger then her.
8. Beavis- He and his brother were dumped up the road. Unfortunately his brother didn’t make it but he is thriving. He is a bobtail.
9. Big Boy- He was a feral cat living behind the pizza hut. It took me 6 months to get him tame enough to throw him in my car and bring him home. He is a barn cat and follows me all over the farm. He is the only outside cat and the only one not neutered.
10 & 11- Willie Wonka and Billy Bad Azz – Brothers found on the road. They were fosters but I don’t think we can let them go. Billy is a bobtail.
12 & 13- Hannible and Garfield – There were 3 of them but I placed 1 in Ohio. They are supposed to be fosters too but I don’t think they are leaving either. They are siamese bobtails.
How did they come to live at DragonHold?
All of them are rescues. Some were fosters that never left.
How did you come to start rescuing animals?
I have been rescuing animals all my life. I own a horse rescue and volunteer with a cat rescue.
Do you have any advice for someone who wants to do more to help animals in need?
If you can’t donate money, donate time with your local shelter.
Do the purrtectors receive any fan mail/presents, if so where?
Our address is 1346 Garner Hollow Rd. Pulaski, TN 38478
Are you currently fostering any kittens? If so what do the others think of the visitors?
I was fostering 5 kittens. One has been placed in Ohio. The other 4 will probably stay here. Some of the other cats like them and some don’t but nobody hurts anyone.
And how you ended up with 13?
I never planned on 13 lol. It just happened.
When did you get started with the first purrtector?
Bunny is the first. 2005
Where did the name Purrtectors of the Dragonhold come from?
DragonHold is the name of my farm. I raise English Shire Draft horses and also own and run a horse rescue.
Are there any fights that break out?
Yes, we do have squabbles but no one ever gets hurt.
Are there any that are inside/outside or does everyone stay inside?
All except Big Boy are inside cats. Big Boy stays outside since he is still very feral.
Do they all eat kibble or do they get some human food?
The kittens are on kitten food and the others eat dry food. Bunny gets a special diet of canned food blended with water ( like soup ) since she only has 1 tooth left. They all love people food but we don’t give them much. They do get treats every morning when I get coffee.
Are there any stand out leaders of the group?
Bunny, Tiki and Rowan are the leaders.
Do they have a special place where they like to hang out?
My bed is the favorite spot.
sorry for all the questions, but I like to get a glimpse into how things run in the house with that many cats.. 🙂 Things run well with the 8. The kittens are starting to learn where they fit in. They still sleep in a big double cage since they haven’t started using the big cats litter boxes. Once they all do that they will no longer be caged at night.