Meet Bella the Blind & Deaf Cat
How old are you Miss Bella?
Hello! I am approximately 10 years old according to the vet.
Where did the name Bella come from?
Mom named me Bella because Bella means “beautiful”.
Were you born blind?
I don’t know how long I have been blind. Mom does not think I have always been blind or I would not have survived as long as I did with my former owners.
Do you live with any four-legged family members?
I have 4 kitty siblings and one dog sibling. The kitties are Jareka, Miss Kitty, Amber & Moses. The dog’s name is Samson.
Where do you spend most of your time?
I spend most of my time in a 6 ft x 8 ft. kitty palace that Dad built. It keeps me safe while they are at work. When Mom & Dad are home they let me walk around the house but I like to sit in their laps the best!
How long did it take for you to adjust to your furever home?
It took around three months for me to get use to living the life of a Princess! I had been abused so I was not use to humans being nice to me. Mom says that it is a blessing for she and Dad to have a “dfferently abled” kitty like me! It isn’t always easy, but the love I show them with my head bonks, purrs, hand rubs, & chin rubs make them feel all warm inside. Mom says that no matter what happens, I got to know that I am lovable and deserving of love!
Do you accept fan mail? If so, where can people send it?
Is there anything else you would like to share ?
Be aware of blind and/or deaf pets’ compensatory heightened senses:
- To aid in room orientation, place differently textured rugs on floors and unlit candles of varying scents into each room.
- Deaf pets respond to vibrations; tap out different “Morse code-like” vibrations by, for example, tapping your toes on the floor, knocking your knuckles on a wall, or slapping a hand on the steps to alert them to feeding time, outside time, or bedtime.
- Memorizing the outlay of your home gives them freedom from mishaps; rearranging furniture or forgetting to put things into their “proper” places, can lead to harm.
- It is cruel to startle any pet.
- The warmth of your lap and your gentle touch help to expand and fill their silent and/or dark, world.
- Remember that Helen Keller had many limitations, but blossomed through patience and perseverance.
- When you can no longer care for a pet, take it to a humane society.
There are so many animals like me who deserve a chance!
Check out the rest of Bella’s story at: http://www.angelscribe.com/tnt_032212
Bella’s Facebook Page:
Author’s Note: A huge “thank you” goes out to Bella and her family for letting me do the article. Photos were used with permission.